Main content of the website

  • font size:A
  • A
  • A


The development permit from the Woodlands County and the Building, Plumbing, Gas and Electrical permits issued under the Provincial Safety Codes Act is the ‘most common’ permits that are required for developments. 

If you are planning a development on your property, such as:

  • constructing or moving a residence, mobile home, or modular;
  • constructing or moving an outbuilding such as a garage, shop or shed – permanent or temporary;
  • starting a home occupation or business;
  • Industrial/Commercial Uses;
  • Natural Resource Extraction;

Various types of permits are required, depending on the location of your property and the type of your development. 

Note: Other departments, such as the Health Department, and Alberta Transportation may also require permits for certain developments. All developments must comply  with the Alberta Environmental Protection & Enhancement Act and the Alberta Water Act.

Development Permit Fees 

The development permit is required to ensure that the development meets the requirements of the Woodlands County Land Use Bylaw

Development permit applications must be approved by Woodlands County PRIOR to development commencing

Please see the County's Schedule of Fees for more information.

Permits required by the provincial government Safety Codes Act:

  • Building permit
  • Plumbing permit
  • Gas permit
  • Electrical permit

The following agencies can issue permits under the Safety Codes Act within Woodlands County, per as Alberta Municipal Affairs:

Inspections Group
Permit Types: Building, Electrical, Septic/ Plumbing, Gas
Edmonton: 1-866-554-5048
Fax: 1-866-454-5222
Superior Safety Codes
Permit Types: Building, Electrical, Septic/ Plumbing, Gas
Edmonton: 1-866-999-4777
Fax: 1-780-489-4711

This list was produced by Woodlands County and is intended to be used as a guide only. It is the owner/developer’s responsibility to ensure that all of the proper permits have been issued for any type of development. The owner/developer has the option of which agency he/she wishes to utilize to issue the appropriate permits for their development.

View other Permitting Agencies, soil classification testing labs and septic installers.

Development Application Package

Development Application Packages:
Download or pick up at both Woodlands County municipal offices

Business Development Permit Applications:
Complete the Business Information Sheet/Application.

Contact Planning & Development for more information.
Phone: 780-778-8400
Toll-Free: 1-888-870-6315

A development permit is required by Woodlands County for any new development or change in use of land within the County in accordance with the land-use bylaw. 

You will need to apply for a development permit for the following:

  • Constructing or moving a residence, mobile home or modular, additions and decks
  • Constructing or moving an outbuilding such as a garage, shop or shed
  • Starting a home occupation, or transport or contractor business

Having a development permit ensures that the proposed structure or use of the land does not conflict with surrounding uses. 

It will also ensure that the development is setback the appropriate distance from property lines. Setbacks are required to ensure that the development is located in a safe place so that it is not positioned too close to road right-of-ways, water courses, steep banks or oil and gas facilities.

New Fee Schedule.

Development permit applications are available at Woodlands County offices in Whitecourt and Fort Assiniboine, or you can download a Development Application package.

A development approval may require the applicant / owner to pay additional development fees that pertain to offsite levies, municipal agreements and / or service connection fees related to subdivisions that have municipal servicing (water / sewer).

Contact the development department for further information on the fees.

A development permit will become valid a minimum of three weeks after it has been submitted. 

It is encouraged that you apply early to avoid any delays in your project.

  • Building Permit
  • Plumbing Permit
  • Gas Permit
  • Electrical Permit
  • Septic Permit

There is a 21-day appeal period in which neighbors or an applicant can appeal a decision to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.

Advertisements of approved or refused applications are placed in local newspapers and on the Local Notices page.

Discretionary-use permits are advertised prior to going to a Municipal Planning Commission meeting and are then advertised again as approved or refused.

Rural addresses are based on the location of the primary access along the road allowance and helps pinpoint where the access is to a property in case of an emergency. All developed parcels require a rural address and they cannot be changed.

A GIS contractor assigns the addresses and Woodlands County staff orders and installs rural address signs. Fees will be noted when receiving a development permit. 

Contact the Woodlands County Municipal Office in Whitecourt to order, install or move a rural address sign.

Learn more about Rural Addressing.